NC State University’s Educational Leadership Academy (NELA) seeks to increase student achievement by preparing and retaining principals in high-poverty, hard-to-staff, and historically low-performing schools. NELA creates a comprehensive leadership development and succession plan for NC high-need school districts. Each component is anchored in research-based best practices in leadership preparation and is designed to meet the specific contextualized needs of schools in North Carolina.
NELA was one of two Principal Preparation Programs Featured for its Innovative Program in a Recent Publication by the Hunt Institute.
Hugh Scott, Cohort II Graduate, Highlighted in The Southern Nash News: “Celebrating Black History Month – Hugh Scott – A Positive Role Model For All Young Minds”
Hugh Scott currently serves as Principal at Southern Nash High School.
Matt Bristow-Smith (Cohort III) Honored as Regional Wells Fargo Principal of the Year 2019
Matt Bristow-Smith graduated with NELA Cohort III in 2014. Before becoming a NELA Fellow, he […]
JPLA Fellow, Leshaun Jenkins, on Upcoming Panel at Talking Black in America Screening Feb. 26
Leshaun Jenkins is a current Fellow in NC State’s Johnston Principal Leadership Academy (JPLA). Leshaun […]
83% of NELA first year principals met or exceeded growth in high-need, Title I schools vs. only 75% of experienced principals across all schools in the state reaching the same level of performance in 2014-2015.
Our educational leadership programs include:
- The Northeast Leadership Academy: NELA Cohorts I – III
- The Northeast Leadership Academy 2.0: NELA 2.0 Cohorts IV and VI & Principal Academy
- The Northeast Leadership Academy – District and School Transformation: NELA-DST Cohort V
- The Durham Principal Leadership Academy: DPLA Cohort
- The North Carolina Leadership Academy: NCLA Cohort
- Wallace Principal Preparation Redesign
- Johnston Principal Leadership Academy: JPLA Cohort – Current Fellows
- Wake Principal Leadership Program: WPLP Cohort – Current Fellows
- The NCSU Cohort – Current Fellows