How We’re Preparing Exceptional Principals
Click to learn more about how NC State’s College of Education is preparing principals to serve throughout the state of North Carolina.
NELA was one of two Principal Preparation Programs Featured for its Innovative Program in a Recent Publication by the Hunt Institute.
NC State University’s Educational Leadership Academy (NELA) seeks to increase student achievement by preparing and retaining principals in high-poverty, hard-to-staff, and historically low-performing schools. NELA creates a comprehensive leadership development and succession plan for NC high-need school districts. Each component is anchored in research-based best practices in leadership preparation and is designed to meet the specific contextualized needs of schools in North Carolina.
Matthew Bristow-Smith, NELA Cohort III: Thinking outside the box – and school – for virtual graduation: Edgecombe Early College High
When Matt Bristow-Smith, principal of Edgecombe Early College High School in Tarboro and 2019 North […]
Aspiring Superintendents Train Under Former Statewide, National Educational Leaders Through College of Education’s Educational Leadership Doctoral Program
The NC State College of Education has a history of graduating principals with a track […]
Mike Casey ‘18MSA Named Pitt County Schools 2019-2020 Assistant Principal of the Year
G.R. Whitfield School Assistant Principal Mike Casey ‘18MSA went to college to become an engineer. […]
90% of schools with a NELA graduate serving as principal met or exceeded growth for the 2018 – 2019 school year vs. only 75% of principals across all schools in the state reaching the same level of performance.
Our educational leadership programs include:
- The Northeast Leadership Academy: NELA Cohorts I – III
- The Northeast Leadership Academy 2.0: NELA 2.0 Cohorts IV and VI & Principal Academy
- The Northeast Leadership Academy – District and School Transformation: NELA-DST Cohort V
- The Durham Principal Leadership Academy: DPLA Cohort
- The North Carolina Leadership Academy: NCLA Cohort
- Wallace Principal Preparation Redesign
- Johnston Principal Leadership Academy: JPLA Cohort
- Wake Principal Leadership Program: WPLP Cohort
- The NCSU Cohort
- NC State Leadership Academy: NCLA
- NC State Leadership Academy (NCSLA) – Current Fellows
- NC State Principal Fellows Class 26 – Current Fellows
- Cumberland Cohort – Current Fellows
- Durham Cohort – Current Fellows
- NELA Cohort – Current Fellows
- Wake Cohort – Current Fellows